The GCT swim course is a 1.2-mile open water swim in the Gulf of Mexico. Wetsuits are allowed and optional as long as the water temperature is below 78 degrees F.
Athletes will start on the beach and swim one loop of the rectangular course in a clockwise direction ....950 yards out and turn right, 200 yards and then turn right and swim 950 yards back to shore. At swim exit, athletes will exit the water and run up to T1.
- 1. 950 yards out then turn right, 200 yards and then turn right
- Course is a clockwise course
- Ends back at the Edgewater Beach Resort
The waves will be grouped as follows
(Clydesdales and Athenas will race in their age group waves):
|Wave Number||Start Time||Category||Cap Color|
|3||6:25||All Other Women||red|
|4||6:30||Men 25-29 / 55+||dark green|
|6||6:40||Men 30-39||neon green|
|7||6:45||Men 40-44||royal blue|
|8||6:50||Men 15-24 & Relays||yellow|
The swim course will be marked with large buoys approximately every 150 yards to keep the swimmers on course. Large buoys will be positioned at the outer corners for a visual reference. Several small safety boats, jet skis, kayaks, and surfboards will be positioned along the swim course to aid in navigation or to help any swimmer in distress. Safety swimmers, lifeguards and an ambulance will be stationed near the finish line.
The bike course is an out-and-back course traveling through residential, commercial, and rural areas of Bay County and Panama City Beach.
The course is flat and fast with head winds averaging 15 mph. You will be sharing the road with automobiles and at times traffic may be heavy so please obey all traffic regulations. Police will be at all congested intersections and you will have the right-of-way unless the police stop you for an emergency vehicle or other such related matters.
Numerous signs are posted to inform the local traffic of the race in progress and GCT volunteers will direct athletes to keep you on course. When entering or exiting the bike transition, you will be instructed to walk. Always keep your chinstrap fastened. An unfastened chinstrap is cause for immediate disqualification.
Sag wagons will be on the course to transport triathletes back to the transition area who have experienced mechanical or other problems. Drafting will not be tolerated. There will be USA Triathlon officials patrolling the course. Motorcycles with trained draft marshal deputies will be controlling the bike course.
Start at Edgewater Beach & Golf Resort, 11212 Front Beach Rd
- Turn left onto Front Beach Rd
- Continue on Front Beach Rd to HWY 79
- Head north on HWY 79 and U-turn at entrance to Crooked Creek Park
- Head south on HWY 79 to Pine Log Rd and turn right
- Head west on Pine Log Rd about 5.2 miles and turn around at dirt road
- Continue east on Pine Log Rd to HWY 79 and turn right
- Head south on HWY 79 to Steel Field Rd
- Turn right on Steel Field Rd and turn around after approximately 5 miles
- Head west on Steel Field Rd to HWY 70 and turn right
- Head south on HWY 79 to Front Beach Rd and turn left
- Head east on front Beach Rd and finish at Edgewater Beach resort.
The bike course has aid stations approximately every 15 miles staffed with friendly volunteers offering encouragement and replenishments. Stations will have water, Gatorade Endurance Formula, Clif Bars, Clif Bloks and fruit.
The run is a flat course traveling through some of the most beautiful beachfront areas that distinguishes Panama City Beach as having the World's Most Beautiful Beaches.
Temperatures average 85 degrees with high humidity.
Aid Stations are numerous with the friendliest volunteers offering you encouragement and assistance. Stations will have water, Gatorade, fruit, Clif Gel, and cola.
Communication between aid stations and the base station located at the finish line medical station is available to all triathletes experiencing medical or other problems.
The 13.1-mile out and back run course starts and finishes at the Edgewater Beach & Golf Resort. The run will begin at the transition area immediately after the bicycle segment of the race.
There will be mile markers and aid stations approximately every mile. Traffic cones separate the runners from the traffic where necessary. The traffic cones will not block the flow of traffic. Numerous signs are posted to inform the local traffic of the race in progress and GCT volunteers will be used to keep runners on course.
The run course is described below.
- Start at Edgewater Beach & Golf Resort , 11212 Front Beach Rd, Panama City Beach, FL 32407
- Head north toward Front Beach Rd 82 ft
- Turn right onto Front Beach Rd 0.2 mi
- Slight right to stay on Front Beach Rd 1.0 mi
- Turn right onto S Thomas Dr. 0.8 mi
- Turn right to stay on S Thomas Dr. 0.5 mi
- Turn right onto Joan Ave 0.1 mi
- Turn left onto Surf Dr. 0.7 mi
- Turn left onto Utes St 0.1 mi
- Utes St turns slightly right and becomes Sunset Ave 0.1 mi
- Slight left onto S Lagoon Dr. 1.6 mi
- Turn right onto Mystic St 276 ft
- Turn left onto Hilltop Ave 0.3 mi
- Turn left onto Treasure Cir 0.6 mi
- Turn right onto Beach Dr. 0.3 mi
- Turn Around at Intersection of Beach Drive and Biltmore and follow reciprocal path back to Edgewater Beach Resort.
The run course will have mile markers and aid stations approximately every mile staffed with friendly volunteers offering you encouragement and assistance. Stations will have water, Gatorade, fruit, Clif Blocks, and cola. Communication between aid stations and the base station located at the finish line medical station is available to all triathletes experiencing medical or other problems.
Sprint Swim Course
The 500 yard swim course will use the same start and finish locations as the half Iron distance swim course.
The swimmers will enter the water at the start line, swim 150 yards directly out to first buoy then turn right and swim 200 yards and then turn right around buoy and head back to shore.
The below Table contains the geographical coordinates for the path of the sprint swim course.
|1st turn||150 yards|
|2nd turn||350 yards|
Sprint Bike Course
The bicycle portion is a 10 mile loop out and back on Front Beach Road
- Left on Front Beach Road and head west past Hwy 79 to turn around.
- After turn around head east on Front Beach Road back to the Edgewater Beach Resort.
Sprint Run Course
The run course will be a 3.1-mile out and back course that starts and stops at the Edgewater Beach & Golf Resort. Refer to the map of the run course.
Transition Area Layout Maps