The Gulf Coast Triathlon will include relay teams. To stimulate equal competition between relay teams and individuals, the relay teams will be required to go through the same transitions as the individuals. The relay teams are separated into four separate categories. These categories are:
- Mens open relay team
- Womens open realy team
- Mixed open relay team
- Masters open relay team
The Following Rules apply:
- Mens open relay team; all team members must be males.
- Womans open relay team: all team members must be female.
- Mixed open relay teams; must have at least one male and one female team member.
- Masters relay team; all team members must be over 40 years old as of May 10, 2007. Team may be composed of all males, all females or mixed.
- Swim team member must tag cyclist team member within the designated swim-bike tag area. The swim-bike tag area is located along the path between the swim finish and the transition area. The cyclist's bike must be racked in the transition area and the athlete shall leave his or her bike shoes and helmet with the racked bike until after the swim / bike exchange is made.
- Cyclist team member must tag runner team member within the designated bike-run tag area. The bike-run exchange area is in the relay holding tent in the transition area. The cyclist must rack bike and remove helmet and bike shoes before tagging runner.
- Individual triathletes can be a swimmer on a relay team but must start the race in the relay wave and not in their age group wave. Once the swim / bike exchange has been made, the individual may continue the race with his or her individual race number.